- Seattle, WA
- Full Time
The Seattle Times, a family-owned, Pulitzer Prize-winning news organization, is looking for an Accounting Clerk to join the Treasury Services team in our Finance Department.
The Accounting Clerk assists the Treasury Services in such activities as remittance processing; posting receivables to the General Ledger; balancing daily receipts; oversight of remote deposits; and updating of the Accounts Receivable systems.
- Timely remittance processing, ensuring deadlines for bank deposits are met
- Mail opening of customer payments
- Balance and post reconciling items into current GP accounting system
- Processing of checks
- Prepare daily reports on bank deposits and other cash handling activities
- Work with managers and employees in all departments to gather the necessary information to perform duties
- Oversee preventative maintenance schedule and manage system troubleshooting; regarding software and hardware related to scanner system and mail opening machines.
- Investigate deposit discrepancies and submit information for corrections
- Participate in developing department goals, policies, and procedures
- Back up for e-remit, bankcards, wires when Treasury Services lead is on vacation
- Assist in maintaining good relationships with major vendors in addition to the banks
- Other duties as assigned
- Two years of progressively responsible work experience or equivalent education directly related to the financial and accounting field, spanning a variety of subject matters and/or companies.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite software, i.e. Excel, Word and Outlook. Familiarity and proficiency with spreadsheet programs, data bases and networks. Ability to work with multiple integrated systems.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Flexible, self-motivated, able to exercise good financial judgment and creatively apply financial theory or general business knowledge.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Effective communication skills for working with multiple levels within the organization and with external sources including the ability to tactfully exchange ideas, concepts, policies, conclusions and data with others.
- Able to meet tight deadlines and schedules while balancing multiple priorities.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Cash processing work is high volume work when opening the mail.
The Accounting Clerk is onsite (not remote) and reports to our Seattle office located at 1000 Denny Way. This is a full time Monday through Friday position. There is some flexibility in the start and ending time.
This position requires you to undergo a pre-employment criminal background check once an offer has been made.
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, independent newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provides readers with timely, relevant news. As the largest newsroom in the Pacific Northwest, we serve the region with thoughtful journalism that makes a real difference in our community. And as a media solutions company, we combine cutting-edge digital capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected traditional media… with an established audience of 1.9 million. At The Seattle Times, you’ll find work that matters.
Resume and attachments over 10 MB per file cannot be accepted.