The Seattle Times is looking for a Digital Editor to lead newsroom efforts to deliver news to local audiences via digital platforms.
As the Digital Editor, you will manage a team of digital producers and collaborate across the newsroom to publish news on digital platforms, including the website, news alerts, notifications, email newsletters and social media. You will listen to our audiences via analytics and use that information to adjust our daily news report. You should be comfortable working with our Product Team to develop new platforms and improve newsroom tools. You will help spread audience expertise and digital best practices across our newsroom. You will be expected to uphold standards of accuracy, ethics and inclusiveness in coverage. You’ll be working in a locally owned news company that is on the cutting edge of developing a sustainable business model for local journalism.
The Seattle Times is an award-winning newsroom with a history of producing groundbreaking journalism for a broad regional audience. Independently owned by the local Blethen family for more than 120 years, The Times has won 11 Pulitzer Prizes, the most recent in 2020. It is considered a leader among major metropolitan newsrooms, producing rapid-fire breaking news, deep and richly told narrative and explanatory stories, high-impact investigative reporting, and powerful, gripping visual journalism.
- Supervise a team of digital audience producers, responsible for curating the homepage, writing alerts, running headline tests and other key digital platform efforts. Hire, coach and develop talent to help advance our newsroom.
- Advocate for digital audience needs while collaborating across teams. Maintain focus on inclusive journalism across all platforms.
- Monitor key analytics to listen to audience needs. Develop best practices based on those insights.
- Support producers in spreading digital knowledge throughout the newsroom.
- Help plan digital coverage in advance of news events and during breaking news. Oversee distribution and engagement efforts for important enterprise projects while collaborating across teams.
- Work with the Assistant Managing Editor to carry out key digital strategies and align digital efforts with our company’s goals of growing a sustainable, audience-focused business model. Prioritize team efforts and newsroom best practices to build habit with audiences to gain new subscribers, retain existing subscribers and build new, diverse audiences. Help coordinate newsroom efforts with Product, Marketing and Audience teams across the company.
- Work with the Product Team to inform improvements to existing tools, products and features as well as the development of new products. Support adaptation of these tools, products, features and digital best practices throughout the newsroom.
- Help ensure that newsroom standards on news judgment, ethics, style and fairness, with specific focus on equity and inclusion, are consistent across Seattle Times digital platforms.
We are committed to diversity and creating an inclusive newsroom and encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. If your profile does not match this job description exactly, you may still be a candidate for this position. Please let us know how your skills and experience relate to the role and its objectives in your cover letter.
- Experience: At least 5 years of experience in a fast-paced newsroom is preferred, including some management experience and/or experience leading digital initiatives.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required.
- Demonstrated ability to apply news judgment and make sound ethical decisions under pressure.
- Demonstrated experience advancing equity and inclusion in news coverage.
- Must have strong prioritization and organization skills.
- Must show ability to coach and mentor.
- Must show ability to collaborate across teams to produce impactful journalism.
- Technological proficiency, including experience with complex publishing systems. Ability to adapt swiftly to new technology and innovations and to lead a newsroom in those efforts.
- Fluency in photo, graphic and video journalism as well audience engagement.
- Ability and willingness to connect with audiences.
- Reports to the Assistant Managing Editor.
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provides readers with timely, relevant news. We serve the Pacific Northwest with thoughtful, independent journalism that makes a real difference in our community. And as a media solutions company, we combine cutting-edge digital capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected traditional media… with an established audience of 1.9 million. At The Seattle Times, you'll find work that matters.
Resume and attachments over 10 MB per file cannot be accepted.