News Page Designer
The Seattle Times, a family-owned news organization, is seeking a News Page Designer that will be responsible for designing daily newspaper pages. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is able to think creatively and provide visual solutions to enhance our storytelling.
- Produce effective designs for daily and project use within the established style guidelines for various coverage areas on multiple platforms.
- Have an understanding of: clarity of visual storytelling, stylistic tone, execution, impact, concept, accuracy and a commitment to proofreading and editing all design work.
- Inclusive mindset. For a designer, this means considering in your day-to-day work the full range of human diversity with respect to ability, language, culture, gender, age and identity, and the ways that people of various identities interact with our news products.
- Take a multi-platform approach to design and storytelling and participate in the associated prototyping, storyboarding and planning endeavors.
We are committed to diversity and creating an inclusive newsroom and encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. If your profile does not match this job description exactly, you may still be a candidate for this position. Please let us know how your skills and experience relate to the role and its objectives in your Cover Letter.
- Experience: 3-5 years of experience in a news operation or equivalent.
- Knowledge of news graphic and illustration tools such as Adobe Creative Suite.
- Demonstrated ability to take concepts and translate into compelling designs.
- Ability to work in high pressure, fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Experience/ familiarity with Eidos Methode or other pagination systems, and WordPress preferred.
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS.
- Established illustration styles are a plus.
Compensation: The full salary range for this position is $61,500 to $85,000, depending on experience and qualifications.
- Medical, dental, vision, and long-term disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Optional life and AD&D insurance and long-term care insurance
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- 10 days of annual vacation accrual, increasing with tenure up to 20 days
- 10 days of annual sick accrual; unused sick pay accrues to an extended illness bank
- 9 paid holidays
- Internet stipend for predominately remote employees
- Subsidized transit cards
- Complimentary Seattle Times subscription
- Wellness program
- Parental leave options
Please Note: As a union-represented position, you will be required to join a union and pay regular membership dues.
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provides readers with timely, relevant news. We serve the Pacific Northwest with thoughtful, independent journalism that makes a real difference in our community. And as a media solutions company, we combine cutting-edge digital capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected traditional media… with an established audience of 1.9 million. At The Seattle Times, you'll find work that matters.
If you need assistance to accommodate a disability, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com and provide a description of the reasonable accommodation(s) needed.