The Seattle Times, a family-owned news organization and one of the nation’s premier regional news sources, is looking for a driven Graphics Reporter. As a member of our Pulitzer Prize-winning newsroom, you will support our digitally focused Graphics team by offering readers news and trends in an engaging, visual format.
This role calls for you to bring your own story ideas to the table, and collaborate with other reporters, editors, producers and visual journalists to create news graphics, interactive stories and data visualizations. You should be versatile, curious and digitally focused in a role at the intersection of journalism, graphics, data and technology.
Our Graphics team is a collaborative unit of visual thinkers that creatively covers the news through multiple platforms, including digitally and in print. We are made up of graphic artists, illustrators, news applications developers and designers. See the kind of work we do here: https://projects.seattletimes.com/
- Tell stories through graphics – from research and reporting to writing and creating visually-lead stories.
- Be curious and develop a diverse list of ideas that mix short-term stories with longer-term pieces.
- Employ an inclusive mindset. For a reporter, this means cultivating diverse sources, constantly building cultural literacy and following best practices for inclusive journalism.
- Report with humanity: Use good, empathetic interview techniques to gain a better understanding of your story and the people in it.
- Create charts, maps, diagrams, interactive graphics or visual projects for same-day turnaround, as well as projects that may take longer.
- Write with a flair that shows your excellent command of language. Self-edit for crisp, clean copy on multiple platforms.
- Work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines, making sound decisions around story angles and technical approaches.
- Conduct research and read data to turn those findings into lively copy and other forms of storytelling.
- Identify the top visual story ideas and opportunities of the day and week, in alignment with our editorial priorities.
- Identify topics that might be 'off-the-news' but of interest at the time.
- Collaborate with reporters, editors and other visual journalists to pitch ideas and complete stories.
- Think broadly, innovate and experiment with different visual formats and approaches that are appropriate for deadlines.
- Be a good team member and help edit or research other visual stories for the graphics department.
- Help reporters and editors learn new skills that will contribute to their visual storytelling.
We are committed to diversity and creating an inclusive newsroom and encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. If your profile doesn’t match this job description exactly, you may still be a candidate for this position. Please let us know how your skills and experience relate to the role and its objectives in your cover letter.
- Experience: At least three years of experience working in a newsroom.
- Demonstrated experience with graphic storytelling using data visuals for audiences on multiple platforms.
- Strong portfolio of visual work.
- Excellent journalistic judgment with research and reporting skills.
- A creative vision and willingness to share and collaborate on new ideas.
- The initiative to take on and learn new tasks in a fast-moving environment.
- Superior skills in information design, including layout, typography, and UX.
- Knowledge/experience of Adobe Creative Suite, especially Illustrator, is also preferred.
- Experience with data journalism and associated tools, such as Excel, SQL, R and Python is desirable.
- Knowledge of the technical nuances of digital platforms. Experience building stories for mobile devices is desirable.
This position will require a background check after an offer is made and union dues be paid monthly as a condition of employment.
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, independent newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provides readers with timely, relevant news. As the largest newsroom in the Pacific Northwest, we serve the region with thoughtful journalism that makes a real difference in our community. And as a media solutions company, Seattle Times Media Solutions combines cutting-edge digital capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected traditional media… with an established audience of 1.9 million. At The Seattle Times, you’ll find work that matters.
Resume and attachments over 10 MB per file cannot be accepted.