The Seattle Times, a family-owned news organization and one of the nation’s premier regional news sources, is looking for an experienced Features Producer to join our Pulitzer Prize-winning newsroom. As part of our Features team, you will be asked to address digital production duties of all features content, including but not limited to food and drink, arts and entertainment, travel, outdoors and culture. You’re tasked with using digital analytics to advise on coverage and presentation strategy, while also using metrics, social media tools and any other relevant digital platforms to help the features team best serve its existing audience, find ways to reach and engage new audiences and keep us up to date on industry best practices.
The Seattle Times is an award-winning newsroom with a history of producing groundbreaking journalism for a broad regional audience. Independently owned by the local Blethen family for more than 120 years, The Times has won 11 Pulitzer Prizes, the most recent in 2020. It is considered a leader among major metropolitan newsrooms, producing rapid-fire breaking news, deep and richly told narrative and explanatory stories, high-impact investigative reporting, and powerful, gripping visual journalism.
Please note: while this job will work remotely for now, this position will report into our Seattle office regularly once normal operation resumes.
- Curating, maintaining and producing the Features sections of the seattletimes.com homepage.
- Sending news alerts for features stories, including email, desktop and mobile push notifications.
- Curating, compiling and sending any relevant newsletters
- Posting Seattle Times features content to social media and engaging with readers.
- Monitoring trends and readership analytics in real time and use trends to advise and help the Features team craft publication, content and engagement strategy on a regular basis.
- Providing accurate and timely news updates during breaking news.
- Endorsing and supporting efforts to provide inclusive coverage to reach many audiences.
- Spearheading and executing varied audience engagement initiatives under the direction of features editors.
- Creatively build out in-depth stories or projects for presentation on the website.
- Considering and suggesting ways to include voices from under-represented communities.
- Stay on top of stories trending on social or other digital media and advise features team on coverage strategy.
- Staying on top of industry digital best practices and advising features team on how to continue to innovate.
- Working closely with all departments across the newsroom on story planning and promotion.
- Participating in discussions of newsroom digital and social media strategies.
- Strategizing and implementing the adoption of digital best practices across the newsroom.
- Training features staffers in digital best practices and digital logistics on an as-needed basis.
- Any other story editing, freelance management or occasional reporting duties as assigned by features editors.
We are committed to diversity and creating an inclusive newsroom and encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. If your profile doesn’t match this job description exactly, you may still be a candidate for this position. Please let us know how your skills and experience relate to the role and its objectives in your Cover Letter.
- Experience: At least two years of professional experience preferred in a related position, such as web producer, engagement specialist, social media producer or related role.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in journalism/communication or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Previous professional experience working in digital news media.
- Solid news judgment
- Must be able and willing to work nights and weekends on occasion when deemed a coverage necessity.
- Interest and some working knowledge of features department topics including but not limited to: arts and entertainment, food and drink, travel, outdoors and popular culture.
- Familiarity with tools for web publishing and analytics, such as WordPress or Chartbeat.
- Expertise in Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and other social media.
- Native-level fluency with the web, social-media savvy and a deep understanding of how people consume information on multiple devices and platforms.
- Strong knowledge of AP style, news judgment and journalistic ethics.
- Reporting or copy-editing background or experience is a bonus.
Will require some nights and weekend shifts.
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, independent newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provides readers with timely, relevant news. As the largest newsroom in the Pacific Northwest, we serve the region with thoughtful journalism that makes a real difference in our community. And as a media solutions company, Seattle Times Media Solutions combines cutting-edge digital capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected traditional media… with an established audience of 1.9 million. At The Seattle Times, you’ll find work that matters.
Resume and attachments over 10 MB per file cannot be accepted.