- Kent, WA
- Full Time
The Seattle Times, a family-owned, Pulitzer Prize-winning news organization, is looking for an experienced Prepress Technician to join our printing facility in Kent, WA. As a member of the Operations team, you will be tasked with producing the highest quality newspaper and commercial print products for a fast-paced web printer. As a Prepress Technician, you are responsible for the processing of files moving from planning to production, which includes pre-flights, preparing, and troubleshooting files for output and finish processing from proof to plate. Ideally, you are comfortable working at an extremely fast pace while multitasking to ensure the final product matches quality expectations.
Please note: this is not a remote work position.
- Review work orders to ensure customer instructions are clear on all incoming jobs. Use computer and software programs to transfer files to file server, check documents for missing fonts and graphics, and check for unacceptable graphic format and color problems that may delay the completion of a job.
- Use computer systems to process files, make digital proofs, prepare files for printing process and ready the system to produce printing plates.
- Build productions/pairing in front-end software, including page approval for plate output.
- Create impositions and press layout for daily and advance press runs.
- Create proofs, fold, and check and prepare proofs for customers to view. Check both proofs and plates for correct page order.
- Create proper quality documentation on jobs which have specific problems. Communicate issues working closely with supervisors.
- Oversee manual override on automatic bending equipment and system.
- Perform maintenance and troubleshoot as needed on Computer to Plate (CTP) units, benders, transport system, and plate processors.
- Experience: Minimum of three years related experience. Experience in graphic applications like InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, and Pitstop strongly preferred.
- Education: High school diploma or GED.
- Ability to read and interpret document such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine correspondence for effective communication between multiple shifts.
- Ability to add, subtract and multiply units of measure, using whole numbers fractions and decimals to determine sizing on full paginated sheets.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding and principles of logic to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several variables.
- Must be quick thinking and proactive.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Shift options include Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or Tuesday through Saturday from 5:00 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.
This position requires a pre-hire drug screen be completed (excludes cannabis).
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, independent newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provides readers with timely, relevant news. As the largest newsroom in the Pacific Northwest, we serve the region with thoughtful journalism that makes a real difference in our community. And as a media solutions company, we combine cutting-edge digital capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected traditional media… with an established audience of 1.9 million. At The Seattle Times, you’ll find work that matters.
Resume and attachments over 10 MB per file cannot be accepted.