Industrial Electrician / Automation Technician
Are you eager to grow into a skilled trade? Do you have prior experience as a technician? Consider joining our team today!
The Seattle Times, a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper, is seeking an Industrial Electrician / Automation Technician to join our Print Operations team in Kent, WA. As an Industrial Electrician / Automation Technician, you will be called on to handle maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of electrical equipment, mechatronics, and industrial control support systems across all areas of production. Ideally, you take direction well and have hands-on experience in a similar capacity. All tools, including test equipment, will be provided.
Schedule: You must be available to work nights, weekends, and holidays. The scheduled shift for this position runs from 6:00pm to 2:30am. Schedule selection, either for the Sunday-Thursday or Tuesday-Saturday option, is based on seniority and is bid on once per year.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair all production equipment and supporting infrastructure including:
- Mechanical, industrial electrical / electronic, PLCs, instrumentation, robotics, plumbing, hydraulics and pneumatics, HVAC, and burning controls.
- Accurately read and reference machinal and electrical drawings/schematics.
- Maintain open, accurate communication with other maintenance employees as well as production management.
- Accurately complete all assigned work orders in a timely manner and document all relevant information describing the completion of the work order.
- Provide all information necessary to maintain proper parts inventories.
- Work with production operators to identify process improvements wherever possible.
- Perform all work in a safe manner following all company safety policies and procedures.
- Assist with other duties and responsibilities as needed.
- Experience as a journey-level electrician strongly preferred.
- Some exposure to working as a Technician in a similar capacity. Previous experience in any manufacturing industry preferred, especially as a Technician, Electrician, Electrical Mechanic, Electronics Tech or equivalent.
- Education: Associates degree or 4-year apprenticeship in industrial electrical/electronic strongly preferred; HS Diploma or GED required.
- Strong mechanical aptitude, with the ability to analyze and quickly resolve problems and consistently meet deadlines is required.
- The ability to climb, bend, stoop, and carry up to 50 pounds, carry tools and parts up several flights of stairs or ladders and work from personnel lifts.
- Environment includes paper, dust and noise.
- Must have the ability to work in confined areas.
- Candidate must have the ability to work with contractors, engineers, and vendors regarding the upgrade and/or installation of electrical equipment.
- Computer literacy and good verbal/written communication skills needed.
Compensation: The full salary range for this position is $35.00 to $49.00 per hour. We typically pay between $40.00 and $47.00 per hour, depending on experience and qualifications. Shift differential pay of $2.00 per hour may be applicable based on shift hours worked.
- Medical and Dental insurance administered by Puget Sound Electrical Workers Healthcare
- Employee assistance program
- Optional life, AD&D, short-term disability, and long-term care insurance
- 401(k) plan and an employer contribution to a pension plan administered by IBEW Pacific Coast Pension Fund
- 10 days of annual vacation accrual, increasing with tenure up to 20 days
- Sick pay accrues at a rate of .025 hour per hour worked
- 9 paid holidays
- Complimentary Seattle Times subscription
- Wellness program
- Parental leave options
Please Note: This position requires you to join a union and pay ongoing union dues each month. In addition, you will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug screen for controlled substances (excludes cannabis).
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provides readers with timely, relevant news. We serve the Pacific Northwest with thoughtful, independent journalism that makes a real difference in our community. And as a media solutions company, we combine cutting-edge digital capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected traditional media… with an established audience of 1.9 million. At The Seattle Times, you'll find work that matters.
If you need assistance to accommodate a disability, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide a description of the reasonable accommodation(s) needed.